The Academy Awards is one of my favorite nights of the year. The glitz and glamour. Star gazing and day dreaming. There are a lot of dynamics that go into the Oscars each year, but one thing I look forward to the most is the fashion.
Oscars fashion can usually predict on trend styles for the rest of the year. This year, however, there was not one particular style that went above and beyond what we can foresee for the rest of the season. There were a lot of different styles from plunging necklines to tiered skirts. Colors varied and jewels were almost non-existent. So, what were some of the favorite fashions this year?
I’ve done a bit of researching to see what us fashion junkies love and I’ve compiled my list of top 10 favorites. If you don’t agree or have a different preference, let me know! Here we go!
10. Cate Blanchett. As much as I love her, this dress was not my favorite. However, I love how this Armani Prive’ looked like something right from a fairy tale and reminded me of her role in Disney’s Cinderella. This sea foam green dress was studded with Swarovski crystals.
9. Saoirse Ronan. Although the beaded pattern of this Calvin Klein Collection is not my favorite, I loved how tightly this emerald green dress fit this Irish actress. My favorite addition to this look is the intentionally mismatched Chopard earrings.
8. Brie Larson. The Academy Award winning actress wore a regal blue ball gown style Gucci dress which she said was an organic fit to how she wanted to feel on her big night. I love this dress, I was lost, however, at the pearl encrusted belt.
7. Tina Fey and Reese Witherspoon. I had trouble choosing between these two because, well, it’s pretty obvious. The purple dresses are nearly identical. Reese’s custom silk Oscar de la Renta was accessorized with Tiffany and Co. diamonds. Tina’s completed the look of her fishtail gown with Bulgari jewels. I guess the biggest question is, who wore it better?
6. Jennifer Lawrence. I expected something a little more fun from the Academy Award winning actress, but she still looked gorgeous. Her sheer black silk gown from Dior Haute Couture looked great and paired beautifully with her Chopard jewels. Perfectly simple and sexy.
5. Rachel McAdams. The best actress nominee wore a backless halter-neck dress by August Getty Atelier. I thought she looked amazing. She would’ve been higher on my list, but the fabric of this dress was not great. Just look at how it wrinkled on the red carpet. I’m sure by the end of the night she needed to have someone with a steamer follow her around.
4. Olivia Munn. I’m not normally a fan or orange, but if you can pull it off, go for it! I think she looked amazing in the Stella McCartney gown with the one shoulder caped neckline. So minimalist.
3. Jennifer Garner. The Oscar presenter wore a black Atelier Versace dress which featured an asymmetrical neckline, half embellished bodice, and draped skirt. This look was flattering and perfect for the 43 year old actress. Eat your heart out, Ben!
2. Alicia Vikander. The Award winning actress said of her butter yellow Louis Vuitton dress “I think if you would’ve asked 5-year-old Alicia what her biggest dream was, it was probably to be Belle in Beauty and the Beast.” I couldn’t agree more! And besides, if you can pull off a butter yellow ball gown, you deserve to be treated like a princess.
1. Charlize Theron. Few people can pull off a plunging neckline like this. The Oscar winning actress stunned in her red Dior Haute Couture, but I think the nearly $4 million Harry Winston diamonds completed the ensemble.