Who knew this was a thing? Until very recently, I tried to avoid airports at all costs. Not airports necessarily, but flying. I’m a nervous flyer. I have new-found coping skills, however, that make flying just a little more bearable. And discovering new fashion trends via airport style has made it a bit more fun. With my recent job transition, I will be spending some time at airports, so I’ve compiled a list of fashion trends that will make my escapades and escapes more like a fashion runway than an airport runway.
1. There’s no need to sacrifice fashion for comfort. The perfect go to staple for airplane travel is skinny jeans. I want to be able to move once I leave the plane and hit the airport, so I prefer the stretchy kind. Another new favorite of mine are “fancy” sweatpants, although I’m pretty sure that’s not what they’re actually called. Both skinny jeans and “fancy” sweats can be paired with either a cute flat or, my favorite, a wedge heel.
2. Which brings me to my next point, SHOES! For airport style, it’s important to be able to get those beauties off at a moment’s notice thanks to the TSA. I find flats and wedges to be the most effective and either type of shoe can go with almost anything from jeans to maxi skirts. To avoid having to pack too many pairs of shoes, though this is truly a hazard for me, try to find a pair that goes with just about anything in your suitcase.
3. Layers are crucial when traveling. I live in Seattle, so it’s, more often than not, raining anytime I leave to travel somewhere. I adjust for the change in climates by wearing layers, but avoiding coats. It’s usually a t-shirt, sweater or lightweight jacket and a scarf. This also helps me to keep warm on my flight and I can usually stow a layer in my small bag when I land, if I need to.
4. Sunglasses. I learned this the hard way. I always like to wear minimal makeup when traveling. I think planes are dirty and being around so many people at once is dirtier, so traveling with light makeup is key since I know I’ll be cleaning up after I land. But when I stumbled upon Chris Evans, aka Captain America, last week sans makeup, I decided that minimal makeup isn’t always the best idea. My solution? Travel with sunglasses at the ready. This way I can still go eau natural, but hide my face with my cute aviators if I need to!
5. Let your bags work for you. You’re carrying around a portion of your closet, so why not make it a cute closet? With keeping your wardrobe minimal, you can do it up bold with your bag!
Have fun traveling in style! And watch for some favorite looks of your own whilst traveling. If you have feedback or favorites, let me know!